Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Prompt#8 Spring Lowering Monte Carlo

 By Dalano Bass

As noted in a previous post of mine, I own a G-Body Monte Carlo.  My father and I completed the task of removing, the coil springs on my car and I learned quite a lot about the mechanics of older style suspension. It turned out to be a learning experience about the do’s and don’ts with suspensions. The suspension system in a car does the following things.

·         Smooths out the ride
·         Helps maintain control of vehicle
·         Keep occupants comfortable

When restoring older cars, rust becomes our number one enemy. While my car's suspension didn’t have many rusted areas, my coil springs needed to be replaced. During this process I learned about the dangers of compressed springs. During the replacement of my parts, my father came across some difficulties. The springs that were placed were for cars with 22+ inch rims. I had no intentions on raising my car that height, so the springs needed to be removed. The springs were twice the normal size of the correct springs for my car. As a result, a typical spring compressor couldn’t be used to release the tension safely. As a result, the springs had to be heated by a torch and cut.
The right spring is twice the size as the correct size left screen.


The cutting process was a dangerous issue, due to the fact of the unreleased pressure on the springs. After the cut was complete the amount of pressure that was compressed within the spring, caused it shoot out from underneath the car. If the spring were to make any contact with anyone, bones would have certainly been broken. The springs were actually cracking the frame of my car. The front set of springs were the hardest to come by. These springs had spacers to make sure the springs wouldn't collapse. My father noted that the springs came from a truck and were not supposed to ever go on cars. Once they were removed the overall height of my car dropped approximately, 4 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment