Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fixing My First Car

By Dalano Bass

My first car was a 1987 Monte Carlo SS. Being from a mechanical family, I knew I was going to have a sweet ride, but I had no idea what type of car. I received my car the Fourth of July during my sophomore year in high school. I wouldn’t actually receive my license until March of my senior year however. During that time, I had little to no interaction with my car. Stored at my uncle’s house for those two years, work did not commence until Christmas break of my senior year. I drove my car for the first time, one week after graduation.
Once my car came home I started with prep-work for paint.The version of my car is an Aerocoupe T-top Monte Carlo SS, one of the rarest models to find. Only 6,052 aerocoupe 87’s were made and even less models were T-top. Be that as it may, I had to repair my car for the road. Fortunately for me, my car came with the original 5.0 Liter V-8 engine, with amazingly only 52,000 miles on it. The body on my car had little to no rust, so my only challenge would be preparation for painting. In total, I’ve spent at least 2 days just sanding the car and applying body filler.
When I first brought the car home
Body filler added to dents and scratches, that will later be sanded smooth
Body filler added to dents and deep scratches, that will eventually be sanded smooth.



 Since this was my car, my father helped me but I was left to the majority of the task on my own. This resulted a lot of trial and error. The trial and error method however, is the best way I believe when it comes down to mechanic work. You learn what to do and what not to do. After all that sanding, finally painting arrived. Painting the car was my father’s job and we did it in our garage. After the first coat was sprayed, I wanted to go for the matte black look.


First coat of black, no clear
After many arguments, debates, and logical explanation on why I couldn’t keep the matte black, my father sprayed the clear coats. A total of 3 coats were sprayed and I was told it was for the best. As a result, polishing the clear coat could be finished by me. The more coats the less of a chance I had of burning through
Clear coat applied
the paint while polishing.
The final result, was worth it.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looking at the car's before and after picture is stunning. I mean the transformation is incredible. It must have been a lot of work. I think that the clear coating was an excellent addition though; I personally prefer it to the matte black color. I think it's cool to fix your first car because it adds sentimental value and a connection because of the hard work you put into making it the way it is. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I like cars a lot, specially american muscles. Did you only work on the exterior of the car, what about the engine and the interior of the car?

    ReplyDelete