Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Prompt #8 Fixing my Bike

By Ryan Ellis


A picture of the last bike
I have had the pleasure of fixing.


Ive had a number of bikes through out the years, mostly because for some reason they always find a way to break. If I remember correctly, I left my first bike without training wheels behind my parents car. That one was completely my fault, but the majority of the time my bicycles just break on their own.


When I think about it, every single bicycle I have ever owned has had some problem with it. To be quite honest, bicycles probably just aren't meant for me. In the my first month of college I have completely wiped out on my bike on my way to class. Another time I was biking to class and out of nowhere my chain snapped. The point being that I've had to take many bikes apart, see whats wrong with them, fix them and then put them back together.


I relate these types of experiences to my field every time I do them. Nothing quite compares to taking something apart to learn how it works, then getting the satisfaction of fixing it and putting it back together is like nothing you've ever felt. The truth about Mechanical Engineering is that experience is more about getting your hands dirty than giving them paper cuts from reading a text book. People hear that you are becoming a mechanical engineer and automatically think "Oh, you must be good at math and stuff." However, working with my hands on objects related to my field has taught me that being an engineer isn't all about mathematics and science. 


Engineering is about understanding what you're working with, thinking about the challenges in front of you and visualizing them. Then applying your understanding of science and mathematics to fix those problems. Thats why I chose my field, to fix problems and become further my understanding of the things around me.


"Schwinn Men's Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike - Walmart.com." Walmart.com. Walmart.com,   n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment